Joshua Brody, MD
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR | Medicine, Hematology and Medical Oncology
Specialties:Cancer (Oncology), Hematology-Oncology
Leukemia Lymphoma Society Interview
Immunotransplant for Mantle Cell Lymphoma - ASCO 2011
The Lymphoma Immunotherapy Program at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and the Brody Lab focus on basic and applied tumor immunology (particularly in lymphoma, melanoma, and ovarian adenocarcinoma). Other areas of interest include: bioinformatic-based collaborations tracking T-cell responses using high-throughput sequencing of the entire TCRbV repertoire and studies of small-molecule inhibitors of lymphocyte signal transduction, e.g. PI3K, mTOR, btk. Our lab has the rare opportunity to both perform correlative studies on primary patient tumor samples from early phase clinical trials and to continually develop advancements in those trials based on what is learned. The core mission is the translation of basic science in tumor immunology into novel clinical trials and development of correlative science associated with those trials to gain a greater understanding of mechanistic-clinical correlates.
In situ vaccination against mycosis fungoides by intratumoral injection of a TLR9 agonist combined with radiation: a phase 1/2 study. Kim YH, Gratzinger D, Harrison C, Brody JD, Czerwinski DK, Ai WZ, Morales A, Abdulla F, Xing L, Navi D, Tibshirani RJ, Advani RH, Lingala B, Shah S, Hoppe RT, Levy R. Blood. 2012 Jan 12;119(2):355-63. PMID: 22045986
Active and passive immunotherapy for lymphoma: proving principles and improving results. Brody J, Kohrt H, Marabelle A, Levy R. J Clin Oncol. 2011 May 10;29(14):1864-75. PMID: 21482977
CD137 stimulation enhances the antilymphoma activity of anti-CD20 antibodies. Kohrt HE, Houot R, Goldstein MJ, Weiskopf K, Alizadeh AA, Brody J, Müller A, Pachynski R, Czerwinski D, Coutre S, Chao MP, Chen L, Tedder TF, Levy R. Blood. 2011 Feb 24;117(8):2423-32. Epub 2010 Dec 30. PMID:21193697
Idiotype vaccine strategies for treatment of follicular lymphoma. Mahaseth H, Brody JD, Sinha R, Shenoy PJ, Flowers CR. Future Oncol. 2011 Jan;7(1):111-22. Review. PMID:21174542
A CpG-loaded tumor cell vaccine induces antitumor CD4+ T cells that are effective in adoptive therapy for large and established tumors. Goldstein MJ, Varghese B, Brody JD, Rajapaksa R, Kohrt H, Czerwinski DK, Levy S, Levy R. Blood. 2011 Jan 6;117(1):118-27. PMID: 20876455
In situ vaccination with a TLR9 agonist induces systemic lymphoma regression: a phase I/II study. Brody JD, Ai WZ, Czerwinski DK, Torchia JA, Levy M, Advani RH, Kim YH, Hoppe RT, Knox SJ, Shin LK, Wapnir I, Tibshirani RJ, Levy R. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Oct 1;28(28):4324-32. PMID:20697067
Lymphoma immunotherapy: vaccines, adoptive cell transfer and immunotransplant. Brody J, Levy R. Immunotherapy. 2009 Sep;1(5):809-24. Review. PMID:20636025
Immunotransplantation preferentially expands T-effector cells over T-regulatory cells and cures large lymphoma tumors. Brody JD, Goldstein MJ, Czerwinski DK, Levy R. Blood. 2009 Jan 1;113(1):85-94. PMID:18812472
A case of complete heart block reverting to normal sinus rhythm after treatment for cardiac invasive Burkitt's lymphoma. Knowles JW, Elliott AB, Brody J. Ann Hematol. 2007 Sep;86(9):687-90. PMID:17410366
Serial cytogenetic alterations resulting in transformation of a low-grade follicular lymphoma to Burkitt lymphoma. Li L, Gupta S, Bashir T, Koduru PR, Brody J, Allen SL. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2006 Oct 15;170(2):140-6. PMID: 17011985
Splenic diffuse large B-cell lymphoma ina patient with type 1 Gaucher disease: Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges. Brody JD, Advani R, Shin LK, Bingham DB, Rosenberg SA. Ann Hematol. 2006 Nov;85(11):817-20. PMID:16937096
Treatment of mantle cell lymphoma: current approach and future directions. Brody J, Advani R. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2006 Jun;58(3):257-65. Review. PMID:16751087
Using signaling pathways to overcome immune tolerance to tumors. Engleman EG, Brody J, Soares L. Sci STKE. 2004 Jul 6;2004(241):pe28. Review. PMID: 15252217
DC-based cancer vaccines: lessons from clinical trials. Brody JD, Engleman EG. Cytotherapy. 2004;6(2):122-7. Review. PMID: 15203988
CD28 receptor endocytosis is targeted by mutations that disrupt phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase binding and costimulation. Céfaï D, Schneider H, Matangkasombut O, Kang H, Brody J, Rudd CE. J Immunol. 1998 Mar 1;160(5):2223-30. PMID: 9498761
- Adult Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
- Hodgkin's Disease
- Hodgkin's Lymphoma
- Mantle Cell Lymphoma
- Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma
- T Cell Chronic Lymphoid Leukemia
Multi-Disciplinary Training AreasCancer Biology [CAB], Immunology [IMM]
BA, Harvard University
MD, SUNY StonyBrook Medical Center
MD, State University of New York Stony Brook School of Medicine
Residency, Internal Medicine, Yale University Health Services
Fellowship, Medical Oncology, Stanford University School of Medicine
ASCO Merit Award for top 100 abstracts submitted to 2011 Annual Meeting
Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Presidential Award (SITC 26th Annual Meeting)
SCL Award for top abstract submitted to 2011 International Conference on Malignant Lymphoma
Howard Temin Pathway to Independence Award in Cancer Research (K99/R00) – [1 K99 CA140728-01] ”Immunotransplant to Treat Lymphoma” – 09/09 – 08/14
‘Outstanding Recent Graduate’
MCLC featured researcher
ASCO Bradley Stuart Beller Foundation Fellowship Merit Award for best abstract submitted to 2008 Annual Meeting
William Guy Forbeck Scholar Award – invited to present at 2008 Forum
- A Phase I, First-Time-in-Human Study of MEDI9197, a TLR 7/8 Agonist, Administered Intratumorally in Subjects with a Solid Tumor Cancer
The purpose of this study is to determine the dose and dosing schedule of an experimental drug called MEDI9197
- An Extension Study to Investigate the Safety and Durability of Clinical Activity of CAL-101 in Patients with Hematologic Malignancies
The purpose of this study is to see if an experimental drug named GS-1101, also known as CAL-101, is safe ...
- A Randomized, Multicenter, Open-Label, 3 Arm Phase 3 Study of Obinutuzumab in Combination with Chlorambucil, ACP-196 inCombination with Obinutuzumab, and ACP-196 Monotherapy inSubjects with Previously Untreated Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
The purpose of this study, which involves research, is to determine if an experimental drug ACP-196 is safe and effective in the treatment of this disease. It will provide information about whether giving obinutuzumab with chlorambucil, or obinutuzumab with ACP-196 toget...
- A Phase I/II Study of Intratumoral Injection of rhuFlt3L/CDX-301 and Poly-ICLC in Combination with Low-Dose Radiotherapy in Low-Grade B-cell Lymphomas
The purpose of this study is to ...
- A Phase Ib Multi-Cohort Trial of MK-3475 (pembrolizumab) in Subjects with Hematologic Malignancies
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the safety, tolerability and effectiveness of an experimental drug called MK-3475 (pembrolizumab) and to evaluate disease response rate to MK-3475 (pembrolizumab). An experimental drug is not approved by the UNited States FDA for ...
- A Phase 3 Randomized Double Blind Placebo Controlled Study Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Idelalisib (GS-1101) in combination with Rituximab for Previously Treated Indolent
This research study is evaluating an experimental drug called idelalisib (also known as GS-1101) when taken in combination with an approved drug called rituximab, as a possible treatment for patients with iNHL. Idelalisib is experimental because it is not approved by the...
- A single-arm, open-label Phase IIa study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of copanlisib monotherapy in patients with relapsed or refractory mantle cell lymphoma (MCL), who failed ibrutinib treatment or were unable to tolerate ibrutinibe
The main purpose of this study is to assess if copanlisib will slow the growth of tumor or shrink the tumor in patients with relapsed or refractory (not in remission) mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) who did not have a good response to ibrutinib treatment, or were unable to tolerate...
- A Randomized, Multicenter, Open-Label, Non-Inferiority, Phase 3Study of ACP-196 Versus Ibrutinib in Previously Treated Subjects with High Risk Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
The purpose of this study, which involves research, is to determine if an experimental drug: ACP-196 is safe and effective in the treatment of this disease.
ACP-196 is an investigational drug. An experimental drug is not approved by the United States Food and D...
- A Phase 1/1b, Open-Label, Multicenter, Repeat-Dose, Dose-Selection Study of CPI-444 as Single Agent and in Combination with Atezolizumab in Patients with Selected Incurable Cancers
The purpose of this study is to find out whether an investigational drug called CPI-444 can be used, on its own, or in combination with another investigational drug called atezolizumab in subjects with the specific type of cancer you have.
The purpose of this clinica...
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-controlled Phase 3 Study of the Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) Inhibitor, PCI-32765 (Ibrutinib), in Combination with Rituximab, Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, and Prednisone (R-CHOP) in Subjects With Newly Diagnosed Non-Germinal Center B-Cell Subtype of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
The purpose of this study is to compare the effects (both good and bad) of ibrutinib when it is given in combination with rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone (abbreviated as “R...
- A Phase 1/2a Study to Evaluate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Preliminary Efficacy of the Combination of Ibrutinib with Nivolumab in Subjects with Hematologic Malignancies
The purpose of this study is to determine the most appropriate dose for the combination of ibrutinib and nivolumab and to see if the combination is active for your disease. The study will monitor for any side effects and if the combination of ibrutinib and nivolumab work...
- A Phase I/ II Study to Evaluate the Safety and Preliminary Efficacy of Nivolumab in Combination with Brentuximab Vedotin in Subjects with Relapsed Refractory Non Hodgkin Lymphomas with CD30 Expression
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of an experimental drug called nivolumab in combination with brentuximab vedotin. Nivolumab is an antibody that is being tested to see if it will allow the body's immune system to work against tumor ce...