Mairaj Ahmed, DDS
- ASSISTANT CLINICAL PROFESSOR | Dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Research Topics:Bioinformatics, Biomechanics/Bioengineering, Bone Metabolism, Genetics, Genomics, Growth Factors and Receptors
Mairaj Ahmed is the Director of the Nasoalveolar Molding (NAM) Clinic, and works closely with the Mount Sinai Cleft/Craniofacial Center as Section Chief of Orthodontics, Dentofacial Orthopedics and Cleft/Craniofacial Orthodontics. Along with providing clinical care, he participates in teaching and mentorship activities and conducts clinical translational research with colleagues in the Departments of Dentistry, Surgery and Genetics.
Dr. Ahmed's post-graduate subspecialty training includes a General Practice Residency at the Lancaster Cleft Palate Clinic, Craniomaxillofacial Fellowship at the Children's Hospital at Montefiore, Orthodontics/Dentofacial Orthopedics at Montefiore Medical Center, and a National Institute of Health sponsored MS in Clinical Research Methods at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Dr. Ahmed's primary appointment is with the Department of Dentistry/Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, and secondary appointment with the Division of Plastic Surgery
- Clinical Case Presentation and Treatment Planning – Hemi-Mandibular Hyperplasia. Montefiore Orthognathic Conference. Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx NY
- Crouzon’s Syndrome Case Presentation. Center for Craniofacial Disorders, Children’s Hospital at Montefiore, Bronx NY
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association 64th Annual Meeting. Comparison of Treatment Outcomes for Patients with Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate from the Same Center: An Internal Audit of Primary Protocol Results. Broomfield, CO
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association 64th Annual Meeting. The AmeriCleft Project - A 6-Center Pilot Project Using the EuroCleft Protocol for Intercenter Collaborative Outcome Studies. Broomfield, CO
- University of Rochester Medical Center. Presurgical Orthopedics: A Historical Perspective. Rochester, NY
Am Board of Orthondontics
Residency, Dentistry, University of Rochester Medical Center
Residency, Dentistry, Lancaster General Hospital
Residency, Orthodontics, Montefiore Medical Center
Fellowship, Craniomaxillofacial, Children's Hospital at Montefiore
Alveolar cleft reconstruction
Midfacial growth in cleft palate
Presurgical orthopedics Recent Publications: Ahmed MK, Maganzini AL, Marantz PR, Rousso JJ. Risk of persistent palatal fistula in patients with cleft palate. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2015. Mar1;17(2):126-30 Shi L, Luo C, Ahmed MK, Attaie AB, Ye X. Novel mutations in EVC cause aberrant splicing in Ellis-van Creveld syndrome. Mol Genet Genomics. 2016 Apr;291(2):863-72 Rao A, Ahmed MK, Taub PJ, Mamoun JS. The Correlation between Maternal Exposure to Air Pollution and the Risk of Orofacial Clefts in Infants: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Res 2016;7(1):e2 Book Chapter: Oral Anatomy. Ferraro's Fundamentals of Maxillofacial Surgery. 2015, pp 49-63. Mar 2014 Editors: Taub, P.J., Patel, P.K., Buchman, S.R., Cohen, M. (Eds.) Springer-Verlag New York
Rao A, Ahmed MK, Taub PJ, Mamoun JS. The Correlation between Maternal Exposure to Air Pollution and the Risk of Orofacial Clefts in Infants: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Res 2016;7(1):e2 2016 Jan-Mar; 7(1).
Ahmed MK, Maganzini AL, Marantz PR, Rousso JJ. Risk of persistent palatal fistula in patients with cleft palate. JAMA facial plastic surgery; 17(2).
Shi L, Luo C, Ahmed MK, Attaie AB, Ye X. Novel mutations in EVC cause aberrant splicing in Ellis-van Creveld syndrome. Molecular genetics and genomics : MGG 2016 Apr; 291(2).
Maganzini AL, Wong AM, Ahmed MK. Forces of various nickel titanium closed coil springs. Angle Orthod 2010 Jan; 80(1).